She mindlessly stared at the
teacher rambling about a concept. Her thoughts were scattered, endlessly
jumping from worry to worry. The uneasiness in the air was soaring. Her
restlessness and agitation were inconspicuous to the people around her. The
ground seemed shaky and unstable. The walls mocked her in silence and the world
left out a boisterous laughter that echoed from corner to corner, shrouding her
dreams. She was never stoic, and all this was too much for her to take and she
soon lost her inhibition. A tear trickled down her cheek making her vision
blurry. Without a second thought, she
grabbed her bag and hastily walked out of the classroom caring less about the
stupefied expressions of the multitude behind.
Millions of thoughts battled
ceaselessly for her attention but she kept walking. The corridor seemed to
close upon her and she felt suffocated and claustrophobic. She strode further
faster to get out of a place that was encumbering her from her dreams. She
tried to integrate her thoughts but her mind quickly took her to her mirthful
imaginary world.
I want to be a wanderlust. I want to Ski on the Alps,
watch sunset on a Hawaiian beach, get lost in the Streets of Venice, kiss under
Parisian Night, and bathe in the natural hot springs of Japan. I want to climb
The Great Wall Of China, go for an early morning jog at Central Park, watch the
leaves change its color in canopied Swedish Roads and shower under waterfalls
of Thailand. I want to explore the Australian waters, watch sets of Game of
Thrones in Ireland, eat a sumptuous English breakfast, hear stories of World
War from the walls of Auschwitz, eat street food in Malaysia and star gaze from
Mojave Desert in California.
She was completely oblivious. She had been walking for more than fifteen minutes now, passing
many traffic lights. Tears had dried on her velvety cheeks. She continued her
mindless stride, her eyes now swollen and mouth parched.
I can’t take this mediocrity anymore. The monotonous, mind numbing routine isn’t what I want. I can’t handle the mindset of the people around. Faking and lying and self-centeredness. The rat race to achieve ‘something’ and the ceaseless battle with torrents of problems. All this doesn’t make any sense to me.
I want leave all this behind and start afresh. I want to chase the universe for desires. I want to find myself in passages I don’t recognize, dance artlessly to resounding music, feel serendipity. I want to hear the wind whisper to the trees, watch the waves collapse on to the rocky shores, feel the raindrops skitter over my spine, fall in love with an utter stranger. I want to be enveloped in the fog, feel the unprecedented joy that comes from playing with kids, listen to the insightful stories of an old man, build a deep connection with strangers who don’t speak my language.
I just don’t want to be where I am. I want to elope.
I can’t take this mediocrity anymore. The monotonous, mind numbing routine isn’t what I want. I can’t handle the mindset of the people around. Faking and lying and self-centeredness. The rat race to achieve ‘something’ and the ceaseless battle with torrents of problems. All this doesn’t make any sense to me.
I want leave all this behind and start afresh. I want to chase the universe for desires. I want to find myself in passages I don’t recognize, dance artlessly to resounding music, feel serendipity. I want to hear the wind whisper to the trees, watch the waves collapse on to the rocky shores, feel the raindrops skitter over my spine, fall in love with an utter stranger. I want to be enveloped in the fog, feel the unprecedented joy that comes from playing with kids, listen to the insightful stories of an old man, build a deep connection with strangers who don’t speak my language.
I just don’t want to be where I am. I want to elope.
Even though she was a smart
girl and could easily perceive the layers of complexity of her dreams, she
half-wittedly but whole-heartedly pursued it. Her insatiable lust for freedom
had made her somewhat imprudent. She was uncharacteristically brave, and wanted
to be blissfully unaware of the perils.
Her mindless stroll had brought her to a playground. She snapped from her dreamland and watched kids roll around in the sand pit. She walked towards them, threw her bag, forced a smile and started playing with them.
The melancholic trance slowly faded, the forced smile turned into a belly full laughter, and misery transformed into a burst of joy.
Her mindless stroll had brought her to a playground. She snapped from her dreamland and watched kids roll around in the sand pit. She walked towards them, threw her bag, forced a smile and started playing with them.
The melancholic trance slowly faded, the forced smile turned into a belly full laughter, and misery transformed into a burst of joy.
Masha'Allah ! :)
ReplyDeleteAmazing writing Preethi, i just read two article of yours so far and off-course will follow for more articles
ReplyDeleteyou just spread out the colors of a heart in article and the thing i find amazing is it took me till the end
'may be we all have keen ears for the whispers of each heart'
keep it going ..
Beautiful! Don't break the chain :D
ReplyDelete