Monday, 16 March 2015

The Dreamers and The Procrastinators!

Note: This article was earlier posted on 14th January, 2015 but accidentally deleted.


Happy New Year, dear readers!
I know I’m a tad too late in wishing but as you know, I’m a level 5 procrastinator, and it took me 15 days to gather colossal motivation to write this.
New Year caves way for New Year resolutions that will, apparently, change our life for the better. January 1 happens to be that magical day when we take vows to candidly follow our resolutions. But we all know that the vow is a big fat lie and the resolutions will eventually fail.
I will code more. (My case)
I will study every day.
(My case)
I will write more.
(My case)
I will start answering on Quora. (My case)
I will go jogging every morning.
I will be more organised.

While resolutions are extremely exciting to follow in the beginning, they fray out eventually because of the obvious reasons
: Lack of will-power, deterioration in interest, procrastination, lack of self discipline etc.
I’m such a big loser that my resolutions get carried-forward to the next year. I had resolved to code more and write more but the only time I remember sitting with a compiler was during my lab exams where I inevitably had to execute around 40 programs. And writing? I’ve written around 30 articles in the last year which is staggeringly low in number for someone who calls herself a writer. Yeah, I’m pathetic. Tell me more.

Procrastination, low perseverance, no self-discipline are few of the poisonous things for people who dream big. You’ll just end up being a 40-year-old with full of guilt, regrets, anxiety and no-cool stories to tell your kids.

Well, I seem to have the solution. This is something I read a few weeks back and I’m yet to incorporate this in my life. 

This is called the
Seinfeld Theory or Don’t-break-the-chain Theory.
Let’s assume you want to become a great writer. Now hang a big year-at-a-glance calendar in your room or work place. Whenever you write something, grab a marker and draw a big X on that day. Drawing a big X is exciting, fun and rewarding. Keep doing this every day so you have a chain of big Xs. The whole idea is to not break the chain.
This approach hardwires your brain to sit down and write daily. Just like your eating, sleeping patterns. It also motivates you to continue the beautiful string of Xs.

It doesn’t particularly matter if the writing isn’t very creative or up-to-the-mark. It also doesn’t matter what your write. You can write a poem, a para, a blog or an entire article. Some days when you’re tired or sick, you can simply phrase a beautiful line or two and the days when you’ve got plenty of time, you can write an article.
Self discipline is the key. Your musings and creativity will not be enhanced in a day or two, the transition probably occurs at a microscopic scale, but when you look back your awesomeness would have soared exponentially and you’d be a pro competing with J.K. Rowling and George Martin!

As simple as it sounds, it takes a lot of
determination to do this. (The reason I’m yet to imbibe this into my idled-out schedule.)
You have to make writing a major part of your life. You have to turn it into something you cannot live without doing. Like eating. If you don’t eat, you starve and you die. Similarly, if you don’t write, you’ll get a brain haemorrhage and die. (Sorry for the nightmares).


Now all you need is some motivation to start!
You don’t have to Google for motivation or watch TEDTalks. Just remember that your dreams aren’t going to be come true if you just laze around and while away time. There’s no magic in the world, and no genie is going to miraculously appear to grant you your wishes. You got to work hard, brother!



All you need is determination, self-discipline and a calendar. :D

P.S. You can start TODAY! :D

6 comments:

  1. I just got stuck for a few mins on your blog (it's my time of the day to procrastinate), and wow your writing is amazing. You have the air of ambition in yourself, and don't give up on that, or get stuck in the daily grinds (yep, those are my fears too). I'm not really at the perfect state of mind, but got touched how deep you express yourself, and wanted to wish you well! Maybe the force be with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! You just made my day! Thanks a lot! :D

      Delete
  2. I'm glad! I remembered your blog too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would've been better if you didn't go anonymous. :P

      Delete
    2. Oops, I always thought anonymous complements were the most genuine! Loved your recent post too. Don't get lost in turmoils. Have a great day!

      Delete
  3. another nice article Preethi cheers, but my concern is why squeeze yourself to write?(in your case).. Why not read more and more and let the writing happen.
    I do a bit of writing : http://takeacoffeebrk.blogspot.in/ (Please bear the grammar errors in articles)
    recently i have not written or not got any good storylines or thoughts to write, i did a bit of introspection and learned that i have not read good books for a month or so trying to think about it myself .. hope that should not be the case with you .. :)

    ReplyDelete