"The warden's a witch. She's heartless and cruel. She humiliates me all the time.
"Then why are you still working here?"
"I'm poor, madam. And poor people don't have a choice. I clean 30 rooms, wash 100 plates and work at warden's house everyday and I get Rs 5000 ($80) only. They won't pay me a buck more than Rs 5K but I can't afford to leave the job. I have to suck it all up. For my family.
"Where are you from?"
"I'm from a village near Shimoga. When my husband passed away last year, my aunt took me in. I have two daughters, one is 7 years old and the other one is 15. I enrolled both of them in a Government school in Hassan. I get to see them twice a year. I'll meet them next month for Ganesha Chaturthi. They expect me to bring them new clothes and shoes. They love clothes.
If you have anything that you don't wear, please give them to me. They'll be really happy.
"Then why are you still working here?"
"I'm poor, madam. And poor people don't have a choice. I clean 30 rooms, wash 100 plates and work at warden's house everyday and I get Rs 5000 ($80) only. They won't pay me a buck more than Rs 5K but I can't afford to leave the job. I have to suck it all up. For my family.
"Where are you from?"
"I'm from a village near Shimoga. When my husband passed away last year, my aunt took me in. I have two daughters, one is 7 years old and the other one is 15. I enrolled both of them in a Government school in Hassan. I get to see them twice a year. I'll meet them next month for Ganesha Chaturthi. They expect me to bring them new clothes and shoes. They love clothes.
If you have anything that you don't wear, please give them to me. They'll be really happy.

No comments:
Post a Comment